When creating the Open Joist TRIFORCE® product, we modeled the manufacturing process on the Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing (ECM) model, which focuses on the most efficient and productive use of raw materials and natural resources, as well as minimizing any adverse impacts on workers or the natural environment.
A word from the management
Become a model in the field of construction manager
We believe that protecting the environment must be a priority for any organization that believes in a sustainable future for our society. Since we require raw materials ourselves, in order to continue our activities, we have an obligation to do everything in our power to increase the quality of the environment. By improving our environmental balance sheet, we ensure our own quality of life, and that of future generations, at the same time.
Thanks to this environmental policy, we have formally committed to our employees, our clients and society at large, to reinforcing the environmental culture. By making all parties involved aware of the importance of protecting the environment, we aspire to act as models in the area of responsible construction.
We have always believed that actions are the true test of environmental commitment: an action plan will promote sustainable development by the multiplication of concrete measures taken in the course of our activities.
Lastly, this environmental policy allows us to supply services that take into account the need to avoid actions that may have a negative impact on the health of people or the environment.
Conscious of our social and environmental responsibility, we have long since ensured that our activities are in conformity with the principles of sustainable development, in order to reduce our ecological footprint to the point where any pressure we put on the environment is minimized. The pursuit of this mission must be reinforced in the future, and we count on doing so by achieving the following precise environmental goals:
Responsible economic activities
- Promoting economic activities that are, above all, responsible;
- Ensuring that our economic activities respect the principles of sustainable development and environmental protection;
- Encouraging our supplies to adhere to ecologically responsible practices.
3R-E: reducing, recycling, reusing, eliminating
- Reducing at source, recycling or reusing materials to ensure optimal use of raw materials;
- Minimizing the use and waste of water;
- Managing waste and dangerous materials efficiently and responsibly, from procurement to elimination.
- Maximizing energy efficiency and ensuring that employees are aware of the need for ecological consumption of energy;
- Applying measures to save energy by favouring the purchase of energy-efficient equipment.
- Promoting a climate of dialogue between partners, employees and management;
- Developing business relationships that respect sustainable development.
To pursue our mission to use energy produced mainly by renewable sources in order to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions related to our energy consumption.
We recognize our responsibility toward society and, since it began its activities, has been fully conscious of the impact of its activities on the environment. Being preoccupied by the quality of its products and the well-being of its clients, the company is concerned about the future for both. It therefore wishes to act as a model of sustainable development, leading to a change in behaviour.
Responsible energy management will be given priority thanks to an environmental perspective oriented toward the use of renewable energy and strategic information.
The principle of energy efficiency must be implemented by means of rigorous measures, essential to company mobilization:
- Prioritize energy coming from the solar wall and pursue implantation of clean energy in our facilities;
- Anticipation of energy losses by means of IT support that calculates and fluctuations;
- Increasing awareness among employees about efficient energy use;
- Inter-facility collaboration, thus creating a network for the exchange of best practices;
- Promoting the exchange of best practices between our facilities by means of active communication;
- Prioritize the purchase of eco-energetic certified materials.
This is why all these aspects will remain priorities in order to protect the environment and ensure the comfort of users.
We are determined to manage our water resources in a sustainable fashion by continuing to follow best practices in its use. We plan to continue inspecting the water tables around our facilities to ensure that this unique resource is protected, and manage it according to the principles of sustainable development.
Recognizing water as part of our common heritage, we intend to promote its responsible management. By means of this policy, the company proposes actions designed to minimize waste, reduce its use in our facilities and ensure that employees are aware of its scarcity.
- Actively promote a thoughtful use of water resources on the part of all users in order to encourage a modification in behaviour;
- Integration of ecologically responsible equipment and materials in our facilities in order to meet our goals concerning the quality of water and its conservation;
- Increasing the use of ecologically safer cleaning products with the aim of reducing the quantity of dangerous matter in waste water.
- Promote the use of reusable bottles in-house in order to reduce the CO2 emissions linked to water consumption;
- Modification of purchasing criteria in order to prioritize suppliers with responsible water use policies;
With the intention of minimizing the impacts of water use and its subsequent disposal, we will maintain and continually improve these measures promoting preservation of the local water basins and the water table.
Reduction, reuse, recovery and elimination have all been part of our corporate values for a long time now. We believe in reducing the ecological footprint by means of responsible waste management.
Waste management is undoubtedly everyone’s responsibility: public bodies, economic decision makers, associations and simple citizens all play a determinant role at every stage. Since this is an important issue affecting the entire population of, we have developed a waste matter recovery program in conformity with current municipal by-laws and aims at excellence in terms of recycling. The company has set the goal of continually reducing its ecological footprint.
Responsible, sustainable waste management is carried out according to the 3R-E principle: Reducing, Reusing, Recycling and Eliminating:
- Adherence to the goals of the Quebec Residual Materials Management Policy by setting target rates for recovery of plastics, fibres, wood and textiles.
- Reduction at source of packaging materials by taking this factor into account when selecting suppliers;
- Development of innovative ideas in order to promote the reuse and valorization of residual materials before the cycle of recovery and elimination;
- Implement adequate recycling measures for waste produced in each facility;
- Reduction and adequate disposal of dangerous materials (computer materials, ink cartridges, batteries, etc.) allowing us to eliminate and control health risks for both users and the environment.
With its innovative perspective, we wish to act as a responsible management model. It hopes that by promoting the implementation of best practices in the management of residual materials, it will help create a chain reaction in the Quebec corporate sector.
By respecting the philosophy of eco-responsibility, we wish to continue to implement purchasing criteria for goods and services in conformity with the principles of sustainable development.
The interest we show for responsible management incites it to improve its purchasing criteria on an ongoing basis in line with both the environment and society at large. By rallying its suppliers to the commitment of responsibility, we guarantee coherency between its words and actions.
By integrating eco-responsible criteria into our decision-making process, the company now makes choices based not only on cost, but also in function of environmental and social criteria.
- Prioritize certain certified products, such as FSC or Energy Star;
- Prioritize use of eco-efficient local resources, local production and the protection of basic workers’ rights, as recognized by the International Labour Organization (ILO);
- Favour purchase of goods and services designed and transported in an ecological manner;
- Favour reduced, recyclable packaging, made from recyclable or recycled materials;
- Take product elimination into account when making purchasing decisions;
- Make a simple and efficient procurement guide available to buyers;
This environmental outlook regarding management of purchases will guide the decision makers in the acquisition of durable, reusable, recyclable, recycled, less polluting products, which generate little waste and respect social standards.
Limitation and healthy management of dangerous products
We wish to limit the use of all dangerous products that may have an impact on the environment.
Waste which has the most negative impact on the environment are toxic or otherwise dangerous materials. To avoid any type of contamination or damage to health, strict measures for treating, handling and safely eliminating these materials must be implemented by the company.
By applying the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), our principal goal the protection of the environment and its employees.
Here are some of the different rules concerning dangerous materials management already being applied by the company, but which we are continually updating:
- Communicate information related to dangerous products. The main elements in WHMIS are made up of warnings on labels, material safety data sheets and training for workers;
- Reduce the consumption of dangerous, restricted or toxic materials, by substituting less harmful equivalent products, or natural or biodegradable products;
- Recover, recycle and eliminate dangerous products in a manner that is safe for employees and the surrounding population.
An environmental vision for the process of managing dangerous products requires strict measures and we have implemented such measures since it first began. Wanting to be a leader in eco-design, we intend to improve our practices each year.